Saturday 15 November 2008

Learn Tamil in 30 Days


My inner graphic designer was instantly attracted to the typography and colour of this little book. But it wasn't until I opened it and started reading that I realised the real beauty of this guide to learning Tamil, the language of Tamil Nadu, lay within. It was written in 1967 when, according to the introduction, Indira Gandhi was Prime Minister and Chennai was still known as Madras. This edition, published this year, is its 35th.
The front contains letters from political grandees and newspaper reviews commenting, in wonderfully dated language, on how useful it is. According to The Mail in Madras: 'The publication of this book, written with the object of helping foreign tourists to Tamilnad who cannot engage a teacher during their short stay, is timely.'
After pages of grammar, spelling and pronounciation is a section of real-life conversations the visiting tourist in the late 60s may have. Here is one:
At Mahabalipuram [Mamallapuram, on the coast near Pondicherry, famous for its giant sculptures]
Foreigner: Yonder. I see an elephant standing! How did it come here?
Guide: It is not a true elephant. It is a monolithic sculpture.
Foreigner: My eyes deceived me. The deftness of the hands of the sculptors is something marvellous.
There is also a sample invitation to attend Christmas. 'My dear Celestine. I have great pleasure in requesting you to go over here for Christmas with your sister Miss Juliet and your brother Tildon. It would be better if you can take leave for at least a week. I am sure you won't disappoint us.'